Sunday, November 23, 2014

Beginner's Guide To Skin Care

 
Believe me, I have come far from the girl who originally thought that toner was something that is only found in a printer and that a skin care routine was wiping my face with a makeup remover wipe. Looking back I could have slapped myself for all the horrible trials that I put my skin through, but everyone has to start somewhere, right?  So today I decided to give the basics of skincare for a beginner to add on to once they begin to understand the reason behind taking care of their skin.
 
READY.
 
SET.
 
GO!
 
1. CLEANSER
 
Everyone must have a good face wash and know how to use it right! Yes, many people I see are using face wash wrong!
 
I was recently showing a friend how to correctly use her skin care that she recently bought with me and when I asked her how she washed her face at night, she gave me a very confused look and answered, "I use my bar soap and wash all my makeup off."
 
....I was so close to taking that bar soap she loved so much and scrub her tongue of those brutal words that just came out of her mouth. No!! You must always remove your makeup before you wash your face, then use a cleanser. Facial cleansers aren't designed to wipe away makeup.
 
Firstly, washing your face with makeup on hurts because your mascara drips in your eyes. I know this from experience, because I forgot my makeup remover when I left for a vacation and I was not about to sleep in my makeup so the mascara burning my eyes was a very painful reminder that I can never forget it again!
 
Second, with just facial washing you cannot remove all your makeup so you will end up with day old mascara. If you apply new mascara over mascara that was not removed properly then you end up with those dreaded spider lashes!
 
Lastly, how can the facial cleanser do it's job correctly when there is a layer of makeup blocking the dirt and grime in the pores? Yes, you would cleanse your skin to a point but it wont be able to give the skin all the benefits that it can.
 
2. TONER
 
 
 
You may think toners fall under one category but many people don't know there are a wider range of toners out there!
 
Traditional toners consist of moisturizers, oils and extracts that help soothe your skin. Toners that are astringents, which are generally alcohol-based, tighten the skin and pores and remove oil. Toners that are fresheners/ smoothers work similarly to astringents by tightening the skin, but they are made of ingredients like caffeine and green tea instead of alcohol.
 
For a beginner I recommend using a traditional toner to give your skin the essential nutrients it needs!
 
3. MOISTURIZER
 
 
Moisturizing you skin is extremely important in maintaining bright, youthful, soft skin as well as keeping away the skin flake patches that come during the winter.
For oily to combination skin then look for gel like moisturizers that wont sit on your skin.
For dry skin then look for creams that will highly moisturize.
 
Review:
1. Cleanse the skin of impurities
2. Give skin essential nutrients
3. Hydrate your skin for a youthful, bright, soft skin
 
For a beginner this is a nice beginning template that can be easily added on to once you begin to find new products that will help you care more for your skin!

No comments :

Post a Comment